AUSTIN – Texas State Senator Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, invites students who reside in Senate District 12 to apply for the Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program, which awards a $10,000scholarship to students who are interested in military service.
"As the daughter of a World War II veteran, I have the utmost respect for our service members," Senator Nelson said. "Texans who are committed to serving our country deserve our support — on the battlefield and in the classroom. This scholarship helps them achieve their dreams."
To be eligible, students must meet two of the following four academic criteria:
· Be on track to graduate or graduated high school with the Distinguished Level of Achievement Plan or the International Baccalaureate Program;
· A high school GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale;
· Achieve a college readiness score of 1070on the SAT or 23 on the ACT; and
· Be currently ranked at the top one-third of the student's high school graduating class.
To be chosen to receive the scholarship in fall 2021 the student:
1) Must be accepted and enrolled as a freshman at a private or public institution of higher education in Texas;
2) Be an ROTC member in good standing; and
3) Enter into an agreement with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
More information and eligibility requirements for the scholarship can be found at www.hhloans.com. Interested students must submit applications to Senator Nelson via mail at P.O. Box 12068,Austin TX 78701 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 31,2021. The application can be found at https://senate.texas.gov/members/d12/press/en/p20210630a.pdf. To learn more about Senator Nelson's application process, you may contact Kevin Fletcher at Kevin.Fletcher@senate.texas.govor by phone at
State Senator Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, today announced $10 million in funds from the General Appropriations Act, SB 1,will be distributed to a local nonprofit, Ranch Hands Rescue, and dedicated to supporting survivors of human trafficking.Read More